Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Unwittingly Spooked


I don't know if you believe in the unseen world of spirits but I just realised, belatedly that is, that it's the Chinese 'Halloween Month'.  They call it the Hungry Ghost festival - where the gates of hell opens for a month to let its inhabitants roam the earth

I never thought myself as one that's superstitious nor have a certain sensitivity for the unseen, but all of today ignorant of the fact that the evil spirits have been let loose to roam earth,  I've been feeling, I could only describe as an ominous feeling that something not quite good was about to happen or happening.  And that puzzled me ... I mean sure, I may on occasions have certain reservations and anxieties about things, but this was the sort of gnawing anxiety that I can't seem to shake off no matter how rational I thought about it.

Strangely enough, it began at the stroke of midnight.  For some reason that inexplicable descending dread kept me up tossing and turning till the wee hours ... while the dogs howled... I suppose the pack knew something ominous unfolding while their disturbed, anxious, puzzled human was getting increasingly annoyed that it would soon be dawn and she's still awake.


It was only a few hours ago, while admiring the full moon rise above Dog Woods with the pack, wondering about the firecrackers crackling in the distance (it's not quite a Muslim practice to set off firecrackers during the fasting month of Ramadan) - wondering what occasion was ...after all, firecrackers are burned to chase away evil spirits ... I finally remembered someone mentioning yesterday evening that today marks the Hungry Ghost Festival.

So that inexplicable uneasiness and anxiety was merely a case of being spooked!  And while I felt it distinctly, I hadn't really recognized it for what it truly about.  That must have frustrated some evil spirits ... ;)

As I was writing the paragraph above, there was a shattering of glass below.  The mess is all cleared now.  Am relieved that no one was hurt.  Thankful that all throughout this puzzlingly ominous disturbing day, I had taken the time to pray, to seek out divine intervention to see us through the day .

10 comments:

  1. Oh, that holding "paws" photo is precious. Both of my bassets like(d) to hold "paws".

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my I hope noone is scared of all the noise!

    Don't forget, we moved to http://dogisgodinreverse.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my dogness
    That sounds scaiwy

    I'm glad all of you made it thwoo safely..youw paw is bootiful..I'll hold it if it makes you less scawed
    smoochie kisses
    ASTA

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope they've all left and only the good spirits remain!

    Hugz&Khysses,
    Khyra

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh goodness, we are spooked just reading your post!
    We hope all them ghosts have packed up and gone!
    We absolutely adore the paw holding hand pic - there is something absolutely precious about a basset paw!
    love and kisses
    Martha and Bailey xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is spooky..

    Big Sloppy Kisses
    Gus, Louie and Callie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Dog Woods Pack! Long time no woof! Thanks so much for your lovely message on my blog!

    It was really interesting reading your post about the Month of the Hungry Ghosts - Hsin-Yi is Chinese so she has grown up learning about all these traditions too. She finds it very interesting when she is back in Taiwan during Aug to see all the offerings that people are burning to their ancestors and the ghosts in the streets!

    Slobbers,
    Honey the Great Dane
    ps. I like the new look of your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooooh.. that sounds spooky!!

    We do have the 7th Month aka Ghost Festival here in Singapore and mom's been doing the usual preventive stuff.. ie. avoiding to walk us too late in the evening, saying 'excuse me' when we pee pee outside, washing our paws and her feet throughly once she reaches home, etc.. they may sound ridiculous, but mom would rather be safe than sorry!! (Let us know if you are interested in the rationale behind the above actions..)

    Stay safe!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi im your newest follower, im so glad I came across your blog! Im a hound lover and have one myself just the taller kind :)

    Kari
    www.houndgirl.com

    ReplyDelete